Last weekend i’ve been at Startupbootcamp FinTech for the third and final hackathon of 2016. This time, was focused on one of the biggest area of FinTech: Payments.
The challenges that was presented:
- MasterCard asked to think about ways that payments could be enabled for small to medium sized merchants in developing countries
- Intesa SanPaolo set exploring ways that merchants and consumers interact, with a view to reducing waiting times in queues
- PwC set a challenge for real time payment information on your credit/debit card, giving users better control of their personal budgets
- Arvato Bertelsmann invited solutions on how to develop cheap and easy address verifications for debt collection
- Rabobank spoke about their digital wallets and gave our hackers the task of working out how to make payments more seamless
- Lloyds Banking Group focused on social media, namely how they could use data sources to improve the payment experiences for customers
On the Friday night, after dinner and icebreaker, we got all ducks in a row and got down to work for the whole weekend in Rainmaking Loft, with nine teams formed around some really exciting ideas. To see what happened throughout the weekend check the Photo Album.
The results were:
- Best Technology – OpenTap (Our Team) for our innovative solution for reducing waiting times with an app as well as instant age verification, focusing on the beer vertical!
- Best Pitch – Aniroj Payments for their real life prototype of instant, contactless payments using unique sounds
- Best Answer to a Challenge – SoPal, for their integration into Slack, allowing users to instantly transfer money over social media
- Best Use of Xignite API – Ashworth, for their plugin that minimises merchant fees by always using the cheapest payment gateway option
- The Winner – Best PayTastic FinTech Solution – OpenTap (Us again). Makes sense. Nobody loves the queues, right? Make a note as this will not be the first nor the last time you hear from us. OpenTap team will be exhibiting at PayExpo Europe 2017 and also pitching at the Payments Dragons Den!